I haven't been looking at lj with any regularity lately. I am interested in the lives of those on my friends' list, and just read a whole bunch of entries. But I think I've likely missed a lot, too. I'm going to try to go back to checking regularly, and updating occasionally, too.
Somehow it's easier to update when you do it regularly. The minutia seems more minute when it accumulates for a while. Anyway, in no particular order:
- I'm continuing to actively job hunt. I'm working with a new (to me) employment agency, a non-profit one funded by the UJA. I've been taking workshops and meeting with counselors. I've revised my resume a bit based on their recommendations and looked some places I hadn't known about before. I'm expecting a long haul - it's a tough, tough time. But it feels good to keep trying.
- I've got a financial plan for 2010, on the assumption that I won't get a full time job, will get some freelance work, and will have extended unemployment benefits throughout the year. I am soooooooo glad I gave up my apartment. My ex tried to talk me out of it, saying that she'd come up with an offer to buy out my share of the coop within two months, so I didn't need to move back in. I told her that I really couldn't count on that (didn't mention that the reason I can't count on it is it's at least the fifth time she's told me that in the almost 9 years since we broke up, and she never follows through), but if she did, that's great and if we came to an agreement we wouldn't have to share living quarters for very long. Needless to say, she hasn't made any offer or even agreed to talk about a resolution of the property issue. If I'd kept the rental, I'd really be up shit creek now, 5.5 months later, since my expenses were so much higher there.
- I have a line on what I hope will be a freelance gig writing a disaster recovery/business continuity plan. It doesn't pay as well by the hour as test prep tutoring, but it will likely be more hours.
- I had a lovely long weekend in the Twin Cities, visiting my sibs and their families. My nephew is five now and at an age where he is growing and changing so quickly. It was great to see how much he'd matured since last summer.
- I'm spending next weekend with talktooloose for a wrap party to mark the completion of his wonderful and very extensive XMM novel, Days of Becoming, which focuses on Iceman and Pyro. It spans the period from well before the first movie until some time after the third, and smooths and fixes a whole lot of stuff that happened in the disaster that is X3. And it's a great story in its own right, with in depth characterizations of canon characters and fascinating, memorable OCs. I've been living with it for some time - as a beta and a fan - and I'm so glad to see its completion.
- I'm writing a new X-Men story series, set a few months after the events of Past and To Come, continuing the story of what happens to the X-Men after the death of Charles Xavier and the addition of Alexander "Havok" Summers to the team. In this series, the domestic terrorist group Sacred Honor, whose acts of bioterrorism sparked the War on Mutants, makes a comeback. I've got 3 stories written, out of what will likely be around 10. I'm looking for betas for it, and will probably round up a few of the usual suspects and try to press them into service.
Happy Valentine's Day, to anyone who goes in for that kind of thing.