When I realized that I had not seen one of the movies nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, I made a belated New Year's resolution to see more movies this year. In the grand tradition of New Year's resolutions I haven't seen a movie yet in 2008. My best New Year's resolution fiasco was the year I resolved to drink more alcohol (because I figured out that I didn't drink enough to get the health benefits associated with moderate drinking) and to watch more TV (so I could participate in office small talk about TV programs) and did neither.
BID. I may not have seen any movies this year, but I've seen quite a few in my lifetime. So I gacked this meme from sionnain:
1. Pick 10 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess, eliding character names or the movie title, as necessary.
4. Fill in the film title once it's guessed.
5. Guessers should not use search engines or IMDb search functions. Just identify the ones you recognize.
1. Character A: We read five times that you were killed, in five different places.
Character B: As you can see, it was true every single time. From Casablanca, guessed by hominysnark
2. I need that wedding. I need some beauty and some music and some place cards before I die. It's like heroin. In and Out, guessed by brak666
3. Character A: Weren't you frightened?
Character B: Frightened? Child, you're talking to a man who's laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe... I was petrified. From The Wizard of Oz, guessed by hominysnark
4. Character A: You're American.
Character B: Oh God, how depressing! You're meant to think I'm an international woman of mystery. I'm working on it like mad.From Cabaret, guessed by tobias_cur
5. I know what you are. From X-Men: the movie, guessed by talktooloose
6. I sit in the subway sometimes, on buses, or the movies, and I look at the people next to me and I think..."What would you say if I told you I was a witch?" From Bell, Book and Candle, guessed by talktooloose
7. There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can't explain what happened. Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace, guessed by hominysnark
8. It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
9. This is what I've seen in the four weeks since infection. People killing people. Which is much what I saw in the four weeks before infection, and the four weeks before that, and before that, and as far back as I care to remember. People killing people. Which to my mind, puts us in a state of normality right now. 28 Days Later, guessed by talktooloose
10. Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living. Grosse Pointe Blank, guessed by hominysnark
I think they're all very well-known movies. But they're not all the most famous lines from them. So think about it!