I have a friend who has been asking why we should care about the private lives of politicians. I don't know why I care, entirely, but I fo find him truly revolting. Here's a guy who:
- Said that Clinton had lost his "moral legitimacy" as POTUS when it was revealed he had had sex outside of his marriage, called for his resignation and voted for his impeachment
- Said this about politicians who lie about affairs "The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representative government, because it undermines trust. And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything."
- is opposed to legal recognition of same-sex marriage because he believes it hurts the sacred institution of marriage
- had an affair with at least one woman for at least one year
- agreed to end the affair only after his wife found out about it
- didn't end the affair in spite of agreeing to
- sneaked off to see his lover, absenting himself from his work, his state, and his country without telling anyone where he was going, including his four sons, including being gone on Father's Day weekend
- Suggested to his staff that he was hiking the Appalachian Trail, leaving them not knowing what to say particularly when his security detail found out he had been in Atlanta, near the airport
- revealed that he had been in Argentina only when a reporter met him at the airport when he got off the plane
- still did not reveal the affair until he was told that a local newspaper had emails between him and his lover and would read them at the press conference if he didn't tell first
- went on about his "dear, dear friend" and "crying in Argentina for five days" and generally tried to paint himself as a sympathetic figure (and I'm sick that so much of the media have bought that, looking on this as #$%#$^#$ romantic)
- asked for forgiveness of just about everyone but never showed any kind of remorse for anything but having sex outside of marriage - nothing about the deceit, dereliction of duty, etc.
- lectured his *staff* on their moral responsibility to do their jobs flawlessly even when the governor falters
- compared himself to King David and said that he would continue and rebuild
Here's a guy who's moralistic about others and who lies constantly except when forced to tell the truth. The man's arrogance, self-absorption, and obtuseness know no bounds. I am reminded once again of something I learned - the hard way - from an ex-partner of mine:
Being completely self-absorbed doesn't necessarily lead to being self-aware.