So, I haven't been on lj much. Sometimes I read, but not consistently and I haven't posted in a long time. I've been busy. My health is much, much better. As a result I've ramped up and am back participating in all my regular activities after trying to do the bare minimum (which is still full time job, part time job, parenting and volunteer work) while my energy was particularly low. I've been more social - had a couple of dinner parties, hosted a luncheon for my shul, and a couple of smaller get togethers as well in the past couple of months. I've gone to some good lectures, read a bunch of good books, volunteered for the Con Com for a work related conference. And I've fallen in love :-). Fallen hard.
I'm involved with a woman named Amy, who is a sixth (final) year rabbinical student at the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College, which is in Philadelphia. So she will be a rabbi in June. I think she's totally wonderful! I truly thought I didn't have the capacity to feel like this about anyone again. We've been seeing each other since November, and have been through the following relationship milestones:
• Amy and I are "in a relationship" on facebook.
• We've survived some conflict.
• We've met a lot of each other's friends.
• I've talked about her at work, at shul, to my extended family.
• She's met Zara and the Boomerangs.
• I'm meeting her parents tomorrow (kind of nervous about that).
• She has a congregation in Ottawa that she works for one weekend a month, and she's bringing me with her for the March weekend.
• I invited my rabbi and her family over so they could get to know Amy a little better than one can at shul.
• I've roped her into doing a few things for my shul: leyning, leading services, and teaching.
• I'm planning on going to her graduation in June.
• We're mostly managing to spend weekends together and sometimes nights in between. We've had to miss a couple of weekends and we've spent a full week together (i.e. in the same place - we were both working some of the time) as the longest time. I was with her Friday evening through Monday mid-day, and she's arriving tonight and staying until Sunday.
• I've attended a therapy session with her.
• We're in negotiations on how to refer to each other :-).
• We generally speak - in some fashion - every day.
So this feels like a lot has happened in a short time. We're both really happy, although also anxious about the future. It's really unclear whether we can sustain a relationship when she leaves Philadelphia. And at this point she has no idea where she'll end up, which is scary in general and scary for the relationship possibilities. But it sure is nice that we are together now.