fannish5 Five Nitpicky Things - Mo's Journal — LiveJournal
fannish5 Five Nitpicky Things|
1. Not to mention the female superheroes who sound like girly girls on a mission!
3. Of course, there's no shortage of men who say they're not gay because they're going by this definition! I'd love to see a few of them in fic. Then there's Bill Clinton...
4. I can see how this would annoy people. I do my absolute best to avoid US travel and specific locales in most of my fic, because there's no way that I can get it all right. I try to stay generic, or set things in the house or on a mission. Still, you wouldn't believe how many NYC maps and guidebooks are in my house, apart from all the Yahoo communities for the place.
5. Oh yes! I really hate it when there's some kind of neutral accent, usually north-east/midwest US, and everyone else has a dialect. Thanks, Chris Claremont. Especially for the Australian characters with British accents!
|Date:||January 27th, 2007 01:28 pm (UTC)|| |
1. Yes, that's awful too. Particularly Storm.
3. I'd love to see a few of them in fic.
From my latest. Adam is telling Jean-Paul about sex with his first lover. for religious reasons Yossi would do anything but fuck. Adam has just said that he didn't want to anyway, and J-P asked him why:
“I thought it would hurt, mostly. And I don’t know — I liked what we were doing. I didn’t want to do something that Yossi was so sure was wrong. I didn’t think it was wrong — well, I don’t know what I thought. I was a confused teenager. I was pretty closeted and pretty mixed up about the whole gay thing anyway. So maybe not doing that gave me an out or something? I mean, just because I was sucking my boyfriend’s cock every chance I got, that didn’t mean I was gay, right?”
4. You should feel free to ask questions anytime. Also there are a lot of us who are local and willing to beta - even just to beta for that kind of detail if you like. Or you could come visit :-).
5. If you visit you can yell at Claremont :-).
[i]5. Oh yes! I really hate it when there's some kind of neutral accent, usually north-east/midwest US, and everyone else has a dialect. Thanks, Chris Claremont. Especially for the Australian characters with British accents![/i]
Why wouldn't they have British accents? Claremont obviously cannot tell Britain from Australia. The most famous of them has a Bitish name. I have honestly polled people in Canberra about whether they can imagine anyone Australian with the name St. John Allerdyce. The kindest response was that if you reversed it, he'd sound like a social climbing ponce who got regularly thrashed in the schoolyard. Which doesn't even taking into account that St. John sounds archaic and poncy even to most Brits as a given name and there are only a handful of people born in the last 60 years with St. John as any part of their name.
Of course the reverse is also true. Marvel's London Brits (and apparently the rest of England doesn't exist as everyone is from London) sound more like they speak the Cockney derived Far North Queensland accent than anything found in England. At least one also follows Australian nicknaming conventions. Jono (and many other nicknames ending in o) is far more likely to be a 'Strine nicknmae than a London one.