1. Leave me a casual comment of no particular significance, like a lyric to your favorite song.
2. I will respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
3. Update your lj with the answers to these questions.
4. Include this explanation and offer to ask others in your own post.
5. When others respond with a desultory comment, you will ask them five questions.
Here are the questions and answers:
1. If you could go to any place in the universe today, free of charge, where would you go?
The Moon! When the now defunct Pan Am did a promotional gimmick right after the first lunar landing of taking reservations for the first commercial flight to the moon, I signed up. I think when I was a kid I thought it was possible I'd get to go some day.
2. What is your number one comfort book? The one you read and re-read infinitely? If you don't have one, what is your favorite comfort activity?
I don't know if it's a comfort activity, but I reread Huck Finn every five years or so and always get something new out of it. I think everyone should read it at 14 and every five years thereafter. Here's what my English teacher character says about it (and in this case he's speaking the author's opinions):
It’s an amazing novel. I read it yearly for class, but I think I’d read it often even if I weren’t teaching it. I get something new out of it every time. Over the years, I’ve gained a deeper understanding of the human capacity for love from Huck’s relationship with Jim. I’ve learned something about natural nobility and dignity from Jim’s character and something about how a truly good person is affected by an evil society from Huck’s. I’ve honed my sense of justice and fairness and even simple kindness by learning from them both.
3. If you could make me dinner, what would you make? (If you don't cook, where would we go, what would we eat?)
Well, I think first I'd ask you what you like and dislike, because I always do that when I'm cooking for someone new. Here's what I made last Friday night (last time I cooked for someone new):
Hot Artichoke Spread with Crackers
BBQ'd Salmon Fillets
Pureed Japanese Sweet Potatoes with Saffron and Ginger
Stir-fried Bok Choy and Eggplant
Challah (well, I bought that)
And for dessert we had these little sponge-cake-and-fruit rolled thingies that I picked up in the bakery where I got the challah, but I put fresh blueberries artfully on top :-).
4. Which presidential candidate are you leaning towards?
I will vote early, often, and enthusiastically for whomever the Democrats give me. It looks like it will be Obama or Clinton, and I have things I really like about each of them and things I don't like. I think either one will make a fine POTUS. I am leaning towards voting for Kucinich in the primary, because his views most closely match mine and because I think the Democratic Party should be reminded that we are not all centrists.
5. Where is your favorite place in The City?
Hard, because I love so many: my neighborhood, the parks, the zoos, Coney Island, AMNH. Oh, I think I'll say the carousel in Prospect Park, but it could be somewhere else depending on mood.
Go ahead. Comment if you dare.