Things I liked:
- Really well acted, all around. Heath Ledger was wonderful, but so was Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman.
- The chase scenes were great, very exciting.
- Ditto for all the blowing things up scenes.
Things I didn't like:
- I felt it was probably about 30 minutes too long, that it should have been tighter.
- It was just too preposterous for me. I kept losing my willing suspension of disbelief. How could the Joker manage to plant explosives all over that hospital without anyone noticing? Ditto for all those flammable barrels of stuff in the hold of the ferries. Plus why wouldn't they evacuate the people off of the ferry (all of which have lifejackets) rather than just wait to be blown up? And really, the idea that the Joker recruited paranoid schizophrenics as his henchmen. Not exactly a population good at following complex, time-critical instructions.
I really like superhero movies when they feel very real. This one didn't to me. I liked Batman Begins a lot better.